Tuesday, December 1, 2009

Let's ALL give THANKS for what we HAVE!


Now, when people think of Thanksgiving, it seems the TURKEY is the most important aspect. Well, this beautiful, healthy little girl, named LEAH JANE NAVE (my first Great Niece) was born just in time for all of us to be EXTRA thankful at this awesome time of year. She took her time, and the doctors finally induced her labor. My poor brother flies for Chevron, and was unable to be there (being late as she was), but how can you not look at such a beautiful little miracle like this and NOT SMILE???


Our immediate family is rather small (and slow moving on the making babies); so this little ANGEL is 'my' Grandmother's only Great Great Grandchild! My Grandmother is 93 years old, and thought she'd never see "ME" have children, much less the great grandchildren! Of course, we haven't been able to HOLD little Leah yet, but hoping that Christmas will be when that happens!
I'd printed a copy of a picture of Leah from my phone, and enlarged it for the "family circle of prayer" before we ate. Here in the south, we may not have other 'things' but we ALWAYS, and yes I mean ALWAYS have good food to eat, and plenty of it. My mother and I do all of the main dishes, and we make a 'list' of what we're making, so that cousins, my sister-in-law, and my Aunt, can decide what they'll bring.

I usually bake the turkey, but at 60c a lb, I bought a 22 pounder! And with the pains from the UTI, "I" couldn't lift it (the 4 times I would have needed); so I prepared it at my Mom's, and she baked it. We'd also ordered a 'Cajun Fried Turkey' (much smaller), and my Aunt baked a ham.  Add some veggie casseroles, my sweet potato casserole, baked macaroni and cheese, mashed potatoes AND rice...it all comes down to YUM, but ends with TUMS!!
And of course Sandi had to make her Banana Split Brownie...not a calorie in it, UNTIL you try to eat the WHOLE thing! You bake the sheet brownie, spread Philadelphia cream cheese on top of that. Then add strawberries (sliced), bananas (sliced), pineapple chunks, and maraschino cherries. And if that doesn't sound good enough, add whipped cream on top of that, with cherries to decorate and add color, and OMG! I'm sighing just thinking about how miserably full I was but still hurried to get some before it disappeared!
I realize that the holidays can be a rather 'melancholy' time for many~especially those who have lost loved ones. There's an 'emptiness' in their eyes (and hearts); and we gather those relatives with us, to remind them that we love them, and we still have SO much to be truly thankful for! We still have each other!   =)

No comments:

Post a Comment