Wednesday, October 21, 2009

A Mom's gotta brag!

Having been told that I may never be able to conceive, you can imagine the elation when I confirmed that I was pregnant! And when I heard my little ANGEL crying, I'd ignored all of the people in the room in order to turn my head to her and say "It's alright my baby, Mommy's right here"...only to have her jerk her little head toward my voice and stop crying!

I had talked to her throughout the pregnancy, rubbed my belly, sang to her, listened to classical music, actually all kinds of music...while playing in that 'baby room'! Any Mom out there can understand that awesome feeling...I even had a spray that smelled like baby powder! She was my "miracle" from GOD! And I mean that literally!

Being alone with her, I had the time to work with her daily. I'd purchased every "Baby Einstein" tape available. We had our routines, but I made time to sit with her, in her playroom in order to have our 'one on one' time. I had a small two-sided easel that we worked on. In chalk I would write letters, numbers, animals and such, and ask her to tell me what they were. And before I knew it SHE was drawing the animals and asking 'me' what they were! She had an ability to put on paper -in the form of a picture- what was on her mind. From the age of only 2, she could 'draw'. I encouraged it very strongly. I made her aware of the 'gift' that GOD had given to her, but she had to study and practice to become better. So I enrolled her locally in Art Classes. The instructor normally didn't begin with students until they were at least 7, but accepted Gabrielle at 5. She's big for her age, and rather shy; but she blended well with the others in the class. She looked forward to the classes each week.

So, needless to say, I was crushed to have to end those lessons for lack of ability to afford them! Without child support, it was impossible for me. My father helped now and then, as well as my grandmother, and I was thankful. But, don't despair, almost at the time that she would have begun a new session, I chose to have her tested at school. Someone from the state came in to test her, see some of her artwork (including something she made on her own) and in no time I received the call to take her to be tested at the next level. The teachers at school~in preparation for NOT being accepted~told me not to worry if she wasn't selected the first time. They told me that it usually took 2 or 3 times! She was accepted the first time, at age 6.

GOD had BLESSED her again, and the timing could not have been more perfect. There were 4 in the school last year. One moved on to the Jr. High, and another should be testing to replace her. Gabrielle is covered by the State of Louisiana until she graduates from High School!

So, her classes this year are on Mondays. I ask her what they did in class, and it's like pulling teeth! "I got to paint with watercolors today"...she replied..."And what did you paint?", I ask.

She tells me, "A hummingbird". And I realize that she took that from watching the hummingbirds (and the bees) linger around the feeders at "MawMaw's house". Nothing more was said really, except that she loved getting to paint. And then I get a message on my phone. I hadn't recognized the number while I was working, so I didn't answer it at the time. The caller was from the Louisiana Wildlife and Fisheries Compound in Lacombe! She proceeded to inform me that "Gabrielle has won FIRST PLACE in our 'WILD THINGS' Art Contest in the 5-8 year old painting category! We're having a Presentation of Awards on Saturday October 17th, and her painting will be on display in the Visitor's Center. She will receive a check for $50 and a First Place Blue Ribbon."



At first, I only had a half grin...then, I listened to the message again! Then I hung up, called my mother and boasted like a Proud Peacock displaying his feathers! My baby, my Gabrielle had won a contest I didn't even know she was entered into! Isn't that funny? I called her in the room to tell her, and she even hesitated with her response. Then SHE, too, had to hear the message.

The next day her Gifted Art teacher called to confirm the details. This of course was not the first time one of his students had won a First Place! I immediately ask if I'll get to KEEP the painting, for I had not even SEEN it yet! It's still on display, but I'll get it back (to matte and frame) for her "gallery"!

Speaking of galleries, an old friend of mine saw my FB posting of the photos from the WILD THINGS fest at Wildlife & Fisheries, and commented that he was there. He's about to open a new GALLERY in Mandeville (which is about 20 miles from us) and wants to feature a 'children's section'. He asked me to look for a sponsor for her, and we could possibly display some of her work! MY BABY!!! My brother works for Chevron, so my fingers are crossed there; and I volunteered with the YSB (Youth Service Bureau) for 12 years!
Yes, I've already emailed them both! So thanks for listening to a bragging Mom! She is SO blessed! What a gift so close to her birthday (November 11th)!






No comments:

Post a Comment